Alright, I have to admit! Eating sweet pastries also has its limits for me. Eating good food and staying in shape is also one of my desires. But resisting the temptation can be rather difficult. Especially when you are surrounded by birthday, graduation, and all other thinkable celebratory treats, at home, at friends, and mainly at the office. But I do not really see myself skipping treats for an apple or something… So I was looking for a just as satisfying but healthier treat. Something that makes you happy and also makes you feel good afterward. Suddenly the delectable Lemon Bliss Balls that Fanny Schouten has let me taste already two years ago came to my mind again. It is funny (pun not intended) how something that you tasted years ago can impress you so much that it still comes to mind every now and then.
But of course, I had to work with the ingredients that were available to me at that moment (plus I am very bad at following recipes) and twisted Fanny’s Lemon bliss balls into my version of ”Lime & Walnut Bliss Balls”. Sweetening the bliss balls with honey is optional and is totally dependable on your taste. Don’t forget to check out Fanny’s Lemon bliss balls recipe.
Ingredients for 8 Lemon Bliss Balls
• zest and juice from 1 lime
• 125g raisins
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 80g walnuts
• 1 tbsp of honey (optional)
• 3-4 tbsp grated coconut
• Food processor
How it’s done
1. Zest and juice the lime.
2. Put the lime zest, lime juice, raisins, vanilla extract, walnuts, and (optionally) the honey all together in the food processor and blend until smooth yet chunky paste forms.
3. Roll the paste into 8 small balls.
4. To finish the bliss balls off, roll trough some grated coconut for extra tropical flavor and avoiding stickiness.
5. Store in the fridge in an airtight container or freeze some to enjoy later.
Did these Lime & Walnut Bliss Balls also make you feel so blissful? 😉 Are you team Lemon or Lime? (I’m both, that’s for sure) I would love to hear what you think about this recipe and feel welcome to share your creations or suggestions @TalesofPastry or #talesofpastry.