Luscious Lemon Bars Recipe
Citrus fruits are one of my favorite fruits. Since I discovered the magic of ‘zest’ I think I tried to put it in almost every suitable recipe. If you are a fan of fresh and tangy flavors, these luscious lemon bars are the way to go. I notices that many recipes actually contain quite a big amount of sugar, which not only masks the sour flavor of the lemon but also almost erases the tangy goodness that characterizes the lemon. So I think I found a nice balance of sweet and sour in this recipe that will give you a good kick of sweet, tangy lemon to serve.
Ingredients for 12 – 15 Lemon bars
For the shortbread crust:
• 260g all-purpose flour
• 240g butter or margarine
• 100g granulated sugar
For the Lemon filling:
• 4 eggs
• Zest of 2 lemons
• Juice of 2 lemon (about 120ml)
• 200g granulated sugar
• 30g all-purpose flour
• powdered sugar
• 9 x 13 inch (20 x 30 cm) baking pan
• Sheet of baking paper
• Fine grater
• Lemon squeezer
How it’s done
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line the baking pan with baking paper.
2. Put all the ingredients for the shortbread crust in a bowl and knead into a nice dough (I used 120g of butter and 120g of margarine). Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and press it down into one even layer.
3. Bake the crust for 20 – 25 minutes. While the shortbread is in the oven, grate the zest of the lemons and squeeze the juice out of the lemons. Try to grate the yellow lemon peel gently so you won’t grate the bitter white layer underneath.
4. Put all the ingredients for the lemon filling in a bowl and mix it together until the sugar is dissolved. When the shortbread crust is ready, pour the lemon filling over the crust and return to the oven. Bake the lemon bars for around 20 minutes until the lemon filling is set.
5. Let the lemon bars completely cool down on a wire rack before you are going to slice them in bars, squares or triangles. Sift some powdered sugar on top to decorate and the lemon bars are ready to serve.
What is your favorite recipe with lemon? Do you like tangy flavors or are you more of a sweet tooth? Let me know in the comments 🙂