Sometimes I want to bake something but do not feel like following a complex recipe. And other times I want to serve tea with a nice piece of pie on the side but do not have that much time before the doorbell rings. I think the Galette is the best outcome in terms of fast, easy, and delicious pies. For this recipe, you don’t need special baking skills or worry about the details. You just roll out your fresh dough, add a fruit filling in the center, fold the edges inwards and tadaaah! An artisan Easy Apple Galette.
You can play around with many different fillings like pears, apples, peaches, and strawberries. You name it. For this recipe, I used apples mainly because they are available all year round. So you can make this easy apple Galette recipe in any season. And also because apples are forgiving and always taste good! But make sure the apples you use are slightly sour and nice and crisp. This will give a nice bite to your Galette and a good ratio between sweet and sour.
• 150g of butter or margarine
• 80g caster sugar
• 225g flour
• 1 egg
• Pinch of salt
• 8g vanilla sugar
Ingredients: Apple filling
• 5 apples
• 3 tbsp granulated sugar
• 3 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tbsp corn starch
• 26 cm or 10-inch springform
• Sheet of baking paper
1. Put all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and knead into a nice dough. Wrap the dough in plastic foil and refrigerate it until chilled. This way you can roll out and fold the dough easily.
2. While the dough is cooling, the filling can be prepared. Peel, halve, and core the apples and cut them into slices (wedges, cubes, or any other shape you like is also perfectly fine). Mix the slices of apple, sugar, cinnamon and corn starch well together in a bowl.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Get the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a sheet of baking paper, to a 5 mm thick circle. Divide the apple filling over the center of the dough and fold the edges up over the apples. Sprinkle some almond shavings on top of the apple galette to finish it off.
4. Transfer the apple galette together with the sheet of baking paper to a baking tray. Bake the apple galette for about 1 hour, until the pastry is nicely browned and crisp. Transfer the apple galette to a rack and let it cool down. Serve warm or at room temperature with a nice dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
If you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment down below. If you made your own easy apple Galette, please share your creation with me @TalesofPastry or #TalesofPastry.