This recipe is an ode to our trip to Dijon. Where we ordered a gigantic fried camembert in a Bistro. A lovely memory that sticks. And also a tribute to my partner who likes cheese so much that he orders entire cheese wheels on the internet. Cheese is good, melted cheese even better! And everything fried and breaded takes it to the next level of satisfaction. This fried Camembert is the best of both worlds. And you can easily make it at home.
Ingredients for 1 Fried Camembert
• 1 camembert
• 2 eggs
• 30g white flour
• 50g breadcrumbs
• Sunflower oil to bake in
• 3 wide bowls
• 1 plate
• Fork or whisk
• Frying pan
• Kitchen paper
How it’s done
1. Break the eggs above one of the dishes and beat it with a fork or whisk. ei klutsen, eerst door de ei halen, dan door de bloem, door de ei, door de paneer, bakken
2. Fill one bowl with the flour and the remaining bowl with the bread crumbs.
3. Dip the camembert in the egg. Make sure to cover both sides and the edges. Then push both sides of the egg-washed camembert in the bowl with flour and roll the edges in the flour too.
4. Dip the camembert in the egg again and coat all sides of the cheese with bread crumbs. Repeat this step once more.
5. Heat a small layer of oil in a frying pan. You can check if the oil his hot by dropping a couple of bread crumbs in the oil. when the oil starts to bubble, it’s ready to fry.
6. Put the breaded camembert in the frying pan and bake for approx. 3-5 minutes on each side. If you tilt the frying pan a bit, the oil will get to one side of the pan. This way you can easily bake the sides of the breaded camembert without having to use too much oil.
7. Place some kitchen paper on a plate and put the fried Camembert on top. Let the kitchen paper absorb excess oil before serving. If you like your fried camembert super runny, you can serve it immediately. If you like your fried Camembert to be a little bit more firm, let it cool down for a couple of minutes.
*Serve the camembert with red currant jam or cranberry sauce. Pairs great with a green salad and optionally some fries.
How did your fried camembert come out? Make me proud and share your giant fried cheese with me @TalesofPastry or #talesofpastry. Drop a comment below if you have any questions or compliments. 😀