Kruidnootjes are a traditional festive treat in the Netherlands. They are spiced mini cookies which are handed out and with which shoes are filled to celebrate the Sinterklaas festivities on the 5th of December. Because they are so tasty, they are already sold at the end of August. But homemade they are even more delicious! The signature taste of the Kruidnootjes comes from the Dutch Speculaas spices and dark brown sugar (Bruine basterdsuiker).
Ingredients for 10 servings (140 ps)
- 125g cold butter
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Speculaas spices*
- 250g flour
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Baking sheet
- Baking paper
- Mixing bowl
- Optional: mixer
*The Speculaas spices can be substituted by pumpkin spice.
How it’s done!
1. preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Knead all the ingredients in a bowl with your hands or a mixer with paddle attachment. Just long enough to combine everything into a nice dough. Do not over-knead!
Tip: You can use the dough immediately or keep it in the fridge (covered in beeswax cloth or plastic foil) for a couple of days if you want to pre-make it. The longer you let it rest, the more the flavors of the spices develop.
3. Divide the dough into about 6-8 pieces and roll strands of 1 cm/0,4 inch thick. Slice the strands into little pieces (thinner than a cube) and place them on a baking tray. Make sure to leave some space between each of the Kruidnootjes because the dough will rise in the oven.
You might need to bake the Kruidnootjes in 2 batches. Keep the remaining dough in the fridge between bakes.
4. Bake the Kruidnootjes for 15-20 minutes and let them cool down completely before serving.
Tried this Dutch Delicacy? Let me know in the comments down below if you enjoyed the Kruidnootjes. And feel free to drop any questions or suggestions. It always makes me happy to see photos of your creations. So share them with me @Talesofpastry (Insta + FB) or Tales-Of-Pastry (Reddit).